- 4 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup blood orange extra virgin olive oil or butter extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp Sel Gris de Guerande salt
- Freshly ground pepper if desired
- 1/4 cup maple sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roast sweet potatoes in oven until soft and done (about 45 minutes). A fork should puncture the potato easily.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Peel off outer skin and place in a bowl.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, and maple syrup.
- Place mashed sweet potatoes into an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle the maple sugar on top.
- Return to oven until maple sugar* starts to caramelize.
*If you don’t have maple sugar available, light brown sugar may be substituted.