How many products have been receiving rave reviews since Ancient times?
Ancient Greek legends say the olive tree was a gift from the goddess Athena. King David loved his olive grove so much that he hired guards around the clock to protect it Homer dubbed Olive Oil “Liquid Gold.” Hippocrates, The Father of Medicine, is recorded as using olive oil with his patients.
For centuries, olive oil has been a mainstay in Mediterranean cultures and diets and is one of the quickest-growing global industries. If you haven’t discovered why the world absolutely adores olive oil, here are five reasons to add more olive oil in your life:
1. Olive oil is the key health ingredient in the renowned Mediterranean diet. It’s no secret that the health community has been singing the praises of a Mediterranean diet for years. One researcher – Dr. Ramon Estruch, set out to discover which aspect of the diet was contributing to heart health and longevity. During a five-year study, researchers discovered that participants who ate a Mediterranean diet high in extra-virgin olive oil, had lower risks of heart attack, stroke, and heart disease, compared to the groups that just substituted red meat with poultry and fish and those eating a high nut diet. The results were so striking; they ended the study early for those consuming a lot of extra-virgin olive oil!
2. Olive oil will improve your cholesterol profile. Olive oil contains high levels of monounsaturated fat. When replacing saturated fats in diets, studies have proven that olive oil lowers the total blood cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol. Unlike other fats, it does not raise your triglycerides or HDL cholesterol levels.
3. Olive oil offers a plethora of disease-fighting benefits. Olive oil reduces heart disease, inflammation, the risk of certain cancers, plays a role in controlling and diabetes, has anti-clotting properties, lowers your blood pressure, and has been a beauty secret weapon for centuries! For heart-healthy results, the FDA recommends two tablespoons of olive oil a day in place of other fats in your diet.
4. Olive oil is a natural weight-loss food. Numerous studies have proven that when people replace saturated fat for MUFA (monounsaturated fat), they consumed less food, or maintained their weight or lost weight. MUFA fats boost the body’s breakdown of stored fat. In one Harvard study that took place over 18 months, overweight participants eating moderate quantities of monounsaturated fats lost around 9 pounds, compared to those eating a low-fat diet that gained over 6 pounds.
5. The cooking possibilities are endless! Eating healthy only works if the food you eat tastes good. From grilling to baking, cocktails to soups, dressings to marinades, our stores are stocked with hundreds of fresh and high-quality olive oils to make any meal and please any palate.
Want to learn more about olive oil? Visit one of our four locations and our olive oil specialists will help find the best oil to fit your healthy lifestyle.