Reader Recipes: Kat's Perfect Steak
- To begin, pat the steaks dry with paper towels.
- Season the steaks all over with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy pan over medium-high heat until it's VERY hot.
- Add the oil to the pan and heat until hot.
- Carefully set the steaks in the pan, the oil should sizzle.
- Avoid the temptation to flip repeatedly; Flip the steaks when they release easily and the bottom is a deep-brown color, about 3 minutes. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on the second side.
- During the last minute of cooking, add the butter and thyme sprigs to the pan with the steaks.
- Transfer them to a cutting board and let rest, for 5 to 10 minutes; then drizzle it with the Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar.